Friday, November 2, 2012

STUDENT PROFILES - DIEGO PENUELA
www.diegoillustration.com

Where we're you born?

I was born in Bogotá, Colombia

When did you start making art?

That's an odd question; I guess when I started drawing on the walls of my house, back when I was like 6 years old. Is that art? like muralism?

Where we're you educated?

I got my bachelor's degree in Visual arts at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá, Colombia

Who are your biggest influences?
Neoclassical painters (I wanna draw like Ingres...is that even possible?), pretty much all of the Impressionist painters. Romanticism painters. Contemporary illustrators like Tomer Hanuka, Yuko Shimizu. Trying to get rid of James jean influence, though I still like his work.

What is your preferred medium?

A Piece of paper, graphite, pens and photoshop. Though I love painting but I am not a painter...

How did you end up using this medium and what made you realize this is the best way for you to achieve final piece?

I started using Photoshop around 6 years ago and I found that it was quite easy and amazing. It gives almost endless possibilities to work a piece but most importantly,  it gives you the power to “ctrl (command) + Z”.

What is your typical working process?
I generally start by doing some research on the subject I have to illustrate. After ruminating on some ideas I do some thumbnails, between 10 or 20.  Then, if I feel like something is working I scan the thumbs and clean them in Photoshop, just to make them clearer for me. If I like a thumb I’ll blow it up, print it and start the tight sketch. Later I’ll work on the final drawing, scan it, and do the color in Photoshop.


Tell us something specific about yourself that no one knows.
When I was I kid I used to make short comics making fun of the Backstreet boys’ videos, cause I hated them.  Those comics are gonne...sadly?
What are your hobbies except illustration and drawing?
Love reading books, playing guitar (though I haven’t played at all lately), watching movies, looking for the ultimate cookie.

What are your dream clients and where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Some of my dream clients are Penguin, Tor, The new Yorker.
I see myself as a established freelance illustrator, maybe an art director, making a decent living out of my stuff, and getting enough sleep during weekends.





No comments: